This concert opens with the shining clarity of Mozart, leading us to the evocative and lyrical writing of Dame
Gillian Whitehead, recently honoured with the prestigious Ngā Taonga Toi a Te Waka Toi award. Imogen Holst’s Phantasy Quartet follows with an almost jazzy flavour, a tonality that balances the driving rawness of Shostakovich’s gripping fifth quartet.
Calathea is a fresh new string quartet comprising dynamic musicians from New Zealand, Australia, Ireland and England. Formed in 2020 while pursuing postgraduate studies at the Royal Academy of Music in London, the quartet recently won the Academy’s Historical Women Composers Prize and is quickly gaining an international reputation.
How to buy tickets:
Single tickets are $40, or $10 for those under 26. A school child attending with an adult who has purchased a full-price ticket is free.
You can buy single tickets by:
• Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and paying by internet banking to
38-9015-0271891-00 with your name in the reference so we can identify you
• Booking online at: Eventfinda Bookings (transaction fees apply)
• Booking over the counter at ‘Visitor i-Sites’ in Wellington, Lower Hutt, Carterton, Masterton and Martinborough
• Phoning Eventfinda: 0800BUYTIX or 0800 289 849 Note: Eventfinda will not accept postal bookings or payment by cheque. Tickets for all online and phone bookings will be emailed to you.
• At the venue: from 2:30pm on the day of the concert (cash only).
The concert is presented in association with Chamber Music NZ.
Sunday 24 September
3:00 pm, St. Andrew's on The Terrace
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart String Quartet 21 in D Major, K575
Gillian Whitehead Moon, Tides and Shoreline
Imogen Holst Phantasy Quartet
Dmitri Shostakovich String Quartet No. 5 in B flat Major, Op. 92